Illustrations are visual symbols used to bring the warmth of British Gas brand and personality to the website.
Illustrations simplify products and services to users in a friendly manner. Illustrations always accompany content.
|💚 Do's||💔 Don'ts|
|Use them to convey depth||Make the illustrations small|
|Use them to differentiate or define the content||Use on their own as the primary visual element|
|Use them to help signpost||Use instead of icons|
|Check existing usage||Alter the colours or apply visual effects|
When choosing an illustration from the available set in Nucleus, it should be relevant to the content. Each has a descriptive name to help aid selection. (See Usage below).
Avoid unnecessary duplication of an illustration on a page. Be aware of existing usage elsewhere.
The ns-illustration component can be used in a number of components to help create bespoke user interfaces (UIs).
|Type of illustration.|
|Picks the illustration that is to be shown.|
|Changes the size of the illustration, with 1 being the smallest.|
|Will grey out the illustration.|
- If you pass an empty size the icon will fill the parent element
- This is for decorative purposes only (does not work in IE11).
If you are looking to create a new illustration, please check if there is not something similar already in use. If there is no suitable option, liaise with the brand team to define a new one and let us know so we can help with the required specification for adding it to the design system.
Read our illustration foundation page for more information on creating illustrations.
- Do you have insights or concerns to share? You can raise an issue via Github bugs.
- See all the issues already raised via Github issues.
💩 🎉 🦄 If you have any questions, contact us on Microsoft Teams in the Nucleus Design System channels.
- Creating an engaging experience through illustrations and the difference between icons and illustrations in Brand Guidelines.